Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Mother's Eyes in Her Athletic Daughter

In a previous post, I mention that my sister Jaeden Powell played sports in the past and why I'm doing this blog to show why women using their sexuality in sports . So I took it a step further and did a interview with my mother, Veronica Powell and see what she thinks about putting Jaeden into sports from a parent's views and her insight about how women are perceived in sports today.

1. When  your daughter Jaeden was  in sports, did you feel that it was a form of empowerment or would it take away her feminine side at a young age?

 VP: It empowered her to learn to learn sports and to learn to be apart of a team. It did not take away her femininity.

2. As a mother, did you feel that having a child in sports would outcast her from other girls or labeled her too tough by society today and why?

VP: No I did not think it would outcast her or label  however I feel that sports allowed her to be seen as the child and the individual  that she was, it showed her character more.

3. You watched sports before or been to sports event, do you think the women participate in these sports have more of advantage or a more disadvantage in playing today and why?

VP: We as women have more advantages because now women who are in sports have teams in elementary schools, high school and colleges available to us. Along with this girls are offered scholarships for sports now and are able to further their careers by being drafted in professional teams before it was just the men were only allowed to do this but  now you hear  more that  young men have the advantage to go on a sports scholarship to a college rather than the young  women does.

4. Why do you think women athletes are trying to use "sex sells" in mainstream media today?

VP: I feel the opposite to that I feel it the men who owns these agencies or cooperation who manages these women because they are the executives and it  allows them to determine what sells and buy. Also I feel  that not just women I feel that men athletes who goes along with this statement because you look at ads today that sells gears and sneaker for sports and you see some form of sexuality. However, I  feel it not just targeted  at sports but ads in general. Look at the Christmas ads you see sexy young people wearing the clothes very rare you see me or someone of my age wearing the clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment